|The Belvedere Palace It was raised in 1819-1822 for Grand Duke Constantine according to a design by Jakub Kubicki. The interior decorations were kept in rich classicistic style and the palace was furnished with period furniture. When Poland regained its independence, the palace became the seat of Marshal Jozef Pilsudski, and after 1945 it served as a seat of the state highest authorities. In 1989-1994 the Belvedere Palace was the residence. In 1995 an exhibition devoted to Jozef Pilsudski was arranged in the palace.|
In the years 1677-1696, close to the city of Warsaw, a sumptuous Baroque
residence was raised for King John III Sobieski and his wife Mrysienka
according to a design by Augustyn Locci. Many outstanding artists and architects
participated in the creation of the palace, including Michelangelo Palloni
and Andrzej Schluter. After King's death in 1696 the Wilanow residence fell
into a decline. It was saved by Elzbieta Sieniawska nee Lubomirska who bought
it in 1720 and continued its extension and remodelling throughout the first
half of the 18th century. In 1799 the palace got into the hands of
Stanislaw Kostka Potocki, a devoted collector of antique objects and mementos
connected with John III Sobieski. The Branicki family owned the palace
from the end of the 19th century until 1945. Carefully renovated after
the Second World War, it has become a museum.
The Royal Castle Originally Gothic in style, founded in the early 15th century to be a seat
of Mazovian Dukes. The extension works started in 1568 on the initiative
of King Sigismund Augustus; its considerable remodelling took place during
the reign of King Sigismund III who transferred the capital of Poland
from Cracow to Warsaw.
|Palace on the Island in the Royal Lazienki Park
The park took its name from the already existing 17th century bath house raised for Stanislaw Herakliusz Lubomirski by Tylman of Gameran. The bath house
was bought from him by King Stanislaw Augustus Poniatowski in 1764,
who had it converted into a summer residence according to Dominik Merlini's design.
In 1784 the southern elevation was remodelled, but some of its Baroque elements
were preserved. During the next four years the palace was enlarged on the side of
its northern elevation which, together with its monumental portico, received
Similar heterogeneity is characteristic of the palace interior decorations. Along with the workson the palace, other construction works were carried out in the park and the following buildings were raised: the White Cottage (1774-1777), Myslewicki Palace (1775-1778), Old Orangery Theatre (1786-1788), and the Theatre on the Island (1790). The Lazienki Palace, partly destroyed by the last war ravages, is one of the most charming, little private royal residences of that time. The beautiful English park with ponds and canals adds much to the palace's delightful appearence.
A memorial to Frederic Chopin designed by Waclaw Szymanowski stands in the park on the Ujazdowskie Avenue side. Free public concerts of Chopin music are given there in summer time.